These are some of the places of interest for you:
Kumbalangy is a beautiful village in Kochi, Kerala.
Kumbalangy is surrounded by backwaters.
A ring of Chinese fishing nets literally encircle the island.
The village bearing witness to the rich aquatic life.
An array of mangroves separate land from water providing a breeding ground for prawns, crabs, oysters and other varieties of fishes.
The village which is 7 Sq.Km in area is home to fishermen, farmers, labourers, toddy tappers and coir spinners, carpenters, masons and other proffessionals all alike.
A cool, calm, non-poluted fresh air rich village.
St. Antony’s Church, Kannamaly:
Kannamali is separated from Kumbalanghi just by a strip of the backwaters. They share panchayat borders and when Kumbalanghi basks in glory as the first-ever tourism village, it is natural that Kannamali too is swayed by the tourism wave. Tourism activity will be centered on St. Antony’s Church at Kannamali and its century-old celebration of the feast of St. Joseph in March.
The first feast was given in 1905 to counter the spread of cholera in the region. Based on the quantity of food supplied, church officials put the number of people visiting the feast anywhere between one lakh and 1.5 lakh. The church also has its share of history.
This is the fourth church. The first two were destroyed in sea erosion and the third, which dates back to more than a century, is now a cemetery. The new church was consecrated in 1945. Even though the church-turned-cemetery has captured the attention of the Department of Archaeology, it is in a dilapidated condition. And the new church is slowly sinking in.
Phone : 0484-2247452 – Distance: 9 Kms
This man-made island is surrounded by beautiful backwaters and is named after Lord Willingdon, a former British Viceroy of India.
The island is the site of the city’s best hotels and trading centers, the headquarters of the southern naval command and the Port Trust.
This used to be the Cochin Port, but now operations are shifted to the new Valarpadam container terminal.
Distance: 12 kms
Vallarpadom – St.Mary’s Church
A major pilgrim centre for Christians, Church of Our Lady of Ransom is one of the oldest European Churches in India built by the Portuguese Missionaries. The church dedicated to the Holy Mary of Vallarpadom popularly known as ‘Vallarapadath Amma’, is located in the middle of Vallarpadom, a small idyllic island on the Vembanad lake, 1 km north from the mainland Kochi. Today the church elevated to the status of a Basilica as well as a National shrine attracts more than five lakh people including pilgrims and tourists, annually.
One of the three Basilicas in Kochi, the Church is under the diocese of Verapoly (Varappuzha). The church earlier accessible only by boat is now linked to the mainland Ernakulam, and the islands of Bolghatty, Mulavukad and Vypin by three adjacent bridges called the Goshree bridges. Vallarpadam island, about 3.9 km in length and 1.5 km in width is located between the islands of Mulavukad and Vypin, and to the east of Bolghatty Island.
The feast of Vallarpadath Amma is held on Sept.24.
Distance: 16 Kms – Mass Timings: Saturday – 06.30 hrs, 10.30 hrs, 16.00 hrs, 16.30 hrs, 18.00 hrs – Phone : 0484-2363952
Vallarpadam Container Terminal
Vallarpadam is the largest single-operator container terminal currently planned in India and the first in the country to operate in a Special Economic Zone(SEZ). The new terminal will make Kochi a key centre in the shipping world reducing India’s dependence on foreign ports to handle transshipment. Construction is expected to be completed in four years and commercial operations to begin within a year of completion. The first phase of the new terminal will have a capacity of one million Twenty foot Equivalents (TEU) and cost approximately US$135 million. It will consist of 600 meters of quay, six Super Post Panamax Quay Cranes and an on-dock railhead serviced by rail-mounted gantry cranes. Construction of a new four-lane bridge and highway access to the ‘golden quadrilateral’ road network is already underway. Vallarpadam will be expanded ahead of demand to a total 1.8km of quay eventually and at least 16 Quay Cranes capable of handling the largest vessels afloat, with associated yard-handling equipment and a capacity of three million TEU.
Distance: 16 Kms
Mattanchery (Dutch) Palace
Dutch Palace is situated at Palace Road, Mattanchery. The Portuguese in the middle of the 16th century built it. The Dutch who took over in 1663 added some improvements and presented to the Raja of Kochi Veera Kerala Varma. The rajas also made some more improvements. Today, it is a portrait gallery of the Cochin Rajas and notable for some of the best mythological murals in India, which are in the best traditions of Hindu Temple Art. On display here are beautiful murals depicting scenes from epics, Ramayana and Mahabharata, and some of the Puranic Hindu legends. The palace also houses Dutch maps of old Kochi, Royal palanquins, coronation robes of former Maharajas of Kochi etc.
Distance: 12 Kms – Visiting Time : 10.00 -17.00 hours – Holiday : Friday – Ph: 0484-2226085
Mattanchery Jew Town, kerala
The Jew Street is lined with shops that sell curios, antique pieces of crockery, carved wooden furniture, bronze and brass sculptures, remnants of traditional houses, and jewellery.
Varieties of traditional things are sold here.
The antique sellers of these streets are the descendants of a fast dwindling population of Jews who settled down here in AD 52.
Every piece that they sell has its own tale to narrate – of a palace or a home of the nobility, of travels across many lands and ages.
Distance: 14 Kms – Shopping Time : 09.00 – 20.00 hours.
Jewish Synagogue, Mattanchery
The famous Jewish Synagogue was built in 1568. The Jewish Synagogue is the oldest synagogue in the commonwealth.
The interior offers beautiful things like: a Belgian chandelier, the great scrolls of the Old Testament, and the copper plates on which were recorded the grants of privilege made by the Cochin rulers to the Jewish community in the 4th century.
There are also five finely wrought gold and silver crowns gifted to the synagogue by various patrons.
Distance: 12 Kms – Visiting Time: 10.00 -17.00 hours -Holiday: Friday
Vypin, Cherai Beach
Cherai Beach is the cleanest golden beach in Kerala and is called “The Princess of the Arabian sea”.
This place is ideal for swimming and sunbathing.
The main beach has walkway that adds charm and the high mask lamps make the beach enjoyable even at night.
Dolphins are occasionally seen here.
Distance: 20 Kms
Bolghaty Island, Bolghaty Palace
The famous Bolghatty palace is in Bolghaty Island.
The Bolghatty Palace was built by the Dutch in 1744 and later taken over by the British.
This palace was once the residence of the British resident of Kochi and today it is a hotel run by the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation, with a small golf course and special Honeymoon cottages.
Distance: 16 Kms
Museum of Kerala History:
It is at Edapally. Once you are on the lush grounds of the museum, head straight to the MNF Gallery of Paintings and Sculptures and the Centre for Visual Arts. The unassuming gallery houses immortal creations that will give you glimpses of the glorious history and rich cultural legacy of this land.
Some of the masters whose works are on display include mural maestro Mammiyoor Krishhan Kutty Nair, Raja Ravi Varma, M F Hussain, folk painter Jamini Roy, abstract painter Manu Parekh and so on.
Distance: 12 Kms – Visiting Time : 10.00 -17.00 hours – Holiday : Monday and Public Holidays
It is a historical place with tales of myriad seafaring visitors who landed at Fort Kochi for trade and stayed here for long and became the inhabitants here.
The history of Fort Kochi began with a major flood in 1341 AD. Kochi was handed over in to the hands of Dutch in 1663 AD and later it became in the hands of British rule in 1795.
It became a major military base, a vibrant cultural hub, a great ship building centre, a centre for Christianity and so on.
Distance: 10 Kms
Pierce Leslie Bungalow
This building is a representative of the Fort Kochi colonial bungalow, reflects Portuguese, Dutch and local influences.
This charming mansion was the office of Pierce Leslie & Co., coffee merchants, founded in 1862.
Characteristic features are wood panels that form the roof of the ground floor, arched doorways, carved doors and sprawling rooms.
The special attraction to it is the waterfront verandahs.
Distance: 10 Kms
Santa Cruz Basilica
The Santa Cruz Basilica, a church built originally by the Portuguese and elevated to a Cathedral by Pope Paul 1V in 1558, was spared by the Dutch conquerors who destroyed many Catholic buildings. Later the British demolished the structure and Bishop Dom Gomez Vereira commissioned a new building in 1887. Consecrated in 1905, Santa Cruz was proclaimed a Basilica by the Pope John Paul II in 1984. It is located at K.B Jacob road at Fort Kochi, is one of the finest and impressive churches in Kerala. It is a place of devotion as well as a center of historic significance, endowed with architectural and artistic grandeur and colours of the gothic style. Located close to St. Francis Church it is the ‘capital church’ of the diocese of Cochin. One of the eight Basilicas in India, built in gothic style by the Portuguese with beautiful paintings on the ceiling. The foundation stone of the Santa Cruz church was laid on May 3, 1505, the feast day of the ‘Invention of the Holy Cross’.
Distance: 10 Kms – Masses Timings: Weekday -(Monday-Saturday) 6.00 hrs, 7.00 hrs and 18.00 hrs
Sundays – 05.30 hrs, 06.45 hrs, 08.00 hrs, 09.00 hrs and 16.30 hrs – Phone : 0484-2215799
Its in Fort Kochi.
Believed to have been the residence of Vasco Da Gama.
This is one of the oldest Portuguese residences at Fort Kochi.
Built in the early sixteenth century.
Vasco House sports the typical European glass paned windows and balcony cum verandahs characteristic of the times.
Distance: 10 Kms
The Dutch Cemetery
It is a historical cemetery.
The tomb stones here are the most authentic record of the hundreds of Europeans who left their homeland on a mission to expand their colonial empires and changed the course of history of this land.
The Church of South India manages this cemetery today and was consecrated in 1724.
Distance: 10 Kms
St Francis Church
St. Francis Church, originally dedicated to Santo Antonio, the patron Saint of Portugal, is the first European Church in India.
Situated at Parade Road, 2 Km west of Mattanchery in Fort Cochin, this church is a living historical monument.
This church is centuries old and was originally built completely of timber and later reconstructed in stone masonry.
It was restored in 1779 by the Protestant Dutch, converted to an Anglican church by the British in 1795 and is at present governed by the Church of South India .
Vasco Da Gama was buried here in 1524 before his remains were moved to Lisbon , Portugal . The tombstone of Vasco Da Gama still remains in this Church.
Distance: 10 Kms – Visiting Time : All days from morning to 6 P.M
Sunday service is at 0800 hrs, except the 3rd Sunday – Phone : 0484- 2217505
Thripunithura, Hill Palace Museum
Hill Palace Museum was built in 1865 which is the official residence of the Kochi royal family. The palace complex consists of 49 buildings built in the traditional architectural style of Kerala and is surrounded by 52 acres of terraced land with ponds, fountains and lawns. On display in the full-fledged Ethno-archaeological museum are oil-paintings, murals, sculptures in stone and manuscripts, inscriptions, coins, belongings of the Kochi royal family and royal furniture including the simhasana (throne). Also exhibited are over 200 antique pieces of pottery and ceramic vases from Japan and China, Kudakkallu (tomb stone), Thoppikkallu (hood stone), menhirs, granite, laterite memorials, rock cut weapons from the stone ages, wooden temple models, plaster cast models of objects from Mohanjodaro and Harappa of the Indus Valley Civilisation. The museum also houses a gallery of contemporary art. It is Kerala’s first heritage museum and the royal collections of the erstwhile Maharaja of Kochi are processed here.
Distance: 20 Kms – Visiting Time : 09.00 -12.30, 14.00-16.30 hours – Holiday : Monday – Phone : 0484-2781113
Kodanad, set on the southern banks of the Periyar river amid the beautiful high ranges near Perumbavoor, is one of the largest elephant training centers of Kerala.
Earlier elephants captured from the Malayatoor forests (the forests in the east and north of Kodanad) were trained here.
Since the introduction of a ban to elephant capture, Kodanad has been reduced to a training centre.
Distance: 35 Kms – Phone : Ph : 0484 – 2649052
Also known as Alleppey, a town with picturesque canals, backwaters, beaches, and lagoons, it was described as the List of places known as Venice of the East by Lord Curzon.
Though the present town owes its existence to the sagacious Dwain Raja Kesavadas in the second half of 18th century, district of Alappuzha figures in classical Literature. Kuttanad, the rice bowl of Kerala with the unending stretch of paddy fields, small streams and canals with lush green coconut palms , was well known even from the early periods of the Sangam age.
History says Alappuzha had trade relations with ancient Greece and Rome in B.C and in the Middle Ages, as well as with other parts of India. Alappuzha has a lighthouse, which is a major tourist attraction.
Distance: 55 Kms
Kottaym is known as the land of Letters, Lakes and Latex. Kottayam Town is the first town in India to have achieved 100% literacy. Bordered by the lofty and mighty Western Ghats on the east and the Vembanad Lake and paddy fields of Kuttanad on the west, Kottayam is a land of unique characteristics. In the festive months of August and September, the rivers in and near Kottayam are turned into festival centres.
The serene lakes comes alive during Onam with a spectacular water regatta- the snake boat races. It is amazing to watch oars men, atleast a hundred in one boat, slice their way through the waters to the fast rhythm of their own full throated singing. In the Kumarakom boat race, about 50 types of boats viz; veppu, ody, churulan and few snake boats participate.
Distance: 60 Kms
Kumarakom is a small village 14 km.west of Kottayam. It is a part of Kuttanad, which is a ‘wonder land’ lying below sea level, comprising of a number of islands, in the back waters. Kumarakom Village covers an area of 5166 He. of which 2413 He. is lake portion, 1500 He is paddy fields and the remaining 1253 He. is dry land. Kumarakom is a paradise of mangrove forests, emerald green paddy fields and coconut groves interepersed with enchanting water ways and canals adorned with white lillies. Situated on the Vembanad lake, this small water world has plenty of traditional country boats, crafts and canoes which will take you into the heart of scenic Kerala. The resorts near by offer comfortable accomdation and exclusive leisure options like Ayurvedic massages, Yoga and meditation besides boating, fishing, angling and swimming.
Distance: 50 Kms
Situated 64 kms. from Kottayam, this enchanting hill station at an elevation of 1100 meters above sea level is a trekkers paradise.
This enchanting hill station on the Idukki -Kottayam border dotted with tea gardens and meadows, will soon be one of India’s foremost eco- tourism projects.
The breeding centre of the Kerala Live Stock Board is located here.
Distance: 64 Kms
Thrissur is known as the ‘cultural capital of Kerala’. It also known as the ‘3B City’ – The City of Brainnets, Banking and Bullion. The City also famous for Bullion (Gold Jewllery) Trade.
It has a large number of well-known temples, Thiruvambady temple, Vadakkumnnatha temple and Paramekkavu temple, and two churches of note, the Our Lady of Lourdes Metropolitan Cathedral and the Basilica of Our Lady of Dolours (called “Puthan Pally” – meaning “New Church” – considered to be the biggest church in South Asia). The Kerala Police Academy (second largest in India) is situated in this city.
Distance: 90 Kms
The famous Thrissur Pooram is an annual festival celebrated during April-May in the Vadakkumnathan temple here.
During the festival idols of Gods and Goddesses from various temples are brought in all pomp and pagentry with the play of drums and musical instruments and pro-technics to the Thekkinkadu Maaidan.
Lakhs of people attend the festival every year.
An all India Exhibition is also conducted every year during the Pooram days under the combined auspices of the Thiruvampady and Paramekkavu Devaswoms at the temple premises.
Athirappally water falls
Athirapally is around 63 km from Thrissur.
East of Chalakudy, near the entrance of the Sholayar forest ranges are thebeautiful waterfalls of Athirapally and Vazhachal, 5 km apart.
Athirappally and Vazhachal, the two scenic and popular waterfalls on the edge of the Sholayar forest ranges are just 5 km apart.
The Athirappally Falls joins the Chalakkudy river after plummeting down a drop of 80 feet.
Vazhachal is part of the Chalakkudy river.
Distance: 70 Kms
Kerala Kalamandalam is a major center for learning Indian Performing Arts especially those that developed in the Indian state of Kerala.
It is situated in the village of Cheruthuuthy in Thrissur district near the banks of Bharathapuzha River.
It was founded in 1930 by late poet Vallathol Narayana Menon and Manakkulam Mukunda Raja.
Kalamandalam imparts training in classical dance and theatre forms Kathakali, Mohiniyattam, Kudiyattam, Thullal, Kuchipudi, Bharatanatyam,Nangiar Koothu, and traditional orchestra Panchavadyam.
Training is also given in various percussion instruments like Chenda, Maddalam, and Mizhavu.
Kalamandalam follows the Gurukula system of education, the ancient Indian education system.
Distance: 125 Kms
Kovalam has three crescent shaped beaches separated by rocky outcroppings. Shallow waters stretching for hundreds of metres are ideal for swimming. The beaches have steep palm covered headlands and are lined with shops that offer all kinds of goods and services. The larger of the beaches is called Light House Beach for its 35 metre high light house which towers over it atop Kurumkal hillock.
The second largest one is Hawah Beach named thus for the topless European women who used to throng there. It was the first topless beach in India. Topfree bathing and parading is banned now except in private coves owned by resorts. Visitors frequent these two beaches. The northern part of the beach is known as Samudra Beach in tourism parlance. The normal tourist season is from September to May.
Distance: 210 Kms
Thekkady (Idukki district) is the location of the Periyar National Park, which is an important tourist attraction in the Kerala state of India.
Situated close to the Kerala -Tamil Nadu border town of Kumily, it is located about 257 km (160 miles) from Thiruvananthapuram.
The sanctuary is famous for its dense evergreen, semi-evergreen, moist deciduous forests and savanna grass lands.
It is home to herds of elephants, sambar, tigers, gaur, lion-tailed Macaques and Nilgiri Langurs.
Distance: 200 Kms
Munnar is a town located in Kerala state in the southern Western Ghats in South India. The name is often used to refer to the whole tourist area of Idukki District of which the town forms a part. Munnar panchayat of Devikulam block is the largest in the district with an area of 557 km².
The name of Munnar is believed to be derived from the Malayalam words Muunu (three) and aaru (river), referring to the town’s strategic location at the confluence of the Muthirappuzha, Chanduvarai and Kundali rivers. The area is surrounded by vast jungles and remains wet and cold during most of the year. The Mattupetty Dam is nearby. The people of Munnar share the culture and traditions of Kerala and their Tamil neighbours.
Distance: 140 Kms
Malampuzha is a little township nestled on the foothills of the Western Ghats, in the district of Palakkad in Kerala.
Malampuzha is adorned with lush greenery and has been acclaimed as one of the most attractive tourist destinations in South India.
Nurtured by Kerala’s longest river, the Bharathappuzha, Malampuzha is definitely worth a visit. Major attractions are the Malampuzha Gardens, Rope Way, Snake Park, Rock Garden and the aquarium. Within the Malampuzha Gardens is a large cement sculpture named Yakshi, created by the famous sculptor Kanayi Kunhiraman.
Distance: 175 Kms